Updated: Jan 8, 2022
Today we’re going to talk about keeping our makeup and our brushes clean.
Because it’s important. Much more important than you may realize. Bacteria in our makeup and brushes can lead to all sorts of problems from acne, to more serious infections such as conjunctivitis (pink eye - ew!).
Still not enough for you to break out the brush shampoo once a week? Let me give you a few more reasons:
1) Not cleaning your brushes ruins them over time. Super excited about that new $50 Kabuki brush you just got from MAC? Take good care of it so it lasts! Without proper maintenance the bristles will dry out and break off :( Brushes and other makeup tools are big investments and when treated with care, they should last you for years if not a for a lifetime!
2) Bacteria buildup is an inevitable result of not cleaning your brushes and as mentioned above can lead to acne, eye infections, and general irritation of the skin. Our skin reacts poorly to foreign bacteria so let’s try to avoid smearing our faces with a thick layer of it every morning, okay?
3) Product buildup is another outcome of not properly cleaning your brushes. Over time, product builds up and it coats the brush bristle causing it to lose its original softness. I don’t know about you guys, but the soft feeling of a brand new brush on my face is the BEST. Don’t lose that feeling - keep your brushes clean!!
4) Letting product and your facial oils accumulate on your brushes also affects how they pick up new product. Dirty bristles don’t pick up makeup very well, which makes it hard for you to get a super intense eye shadow application or that perfect lip color.
5) Dirty brushes lose precision. Unless you’re a fan of a muddy looking makeup application, clean those brushes!
6) Dirty brushes and sponges attract bugs and mites. Don’t believe me? I'm not going to include the video for licensing reasons but if you Google search "bugs" and "beauty blenders" I can't be held responsible for what you find.
7) STOP sharing your makeup. Please, I beg you - it’s not worth it and it makes me cringe. Cross contamination (the unintentional spread of potentially harmful bacteria and microorganisms from one thing to another) isn’t worth the convenience and can expose you to viral and bacterial infections!
Alright, so now that I’ve (hopefully) given you enough reasons to keep your makeup and brushes clean, let’s talk about proper maintenance and sanitation!
Ideally you should clean your brushes after every use. I know, it sounds like a lot of maintenance but it’s super easy! Get a spray brush cleaner that you can spritz on your brush after using, swirl on a tissue, and BOOM— DONE!
Now in addition to this, your brushes should receive a deep cleaning each week if you’re using them daily. There are tons of excellent brush soaps out there (check the Industry Favorites section at the bottom) but I generally use the Brush Cleansing Soap from Bdellium. Most cleansing shampoos meant for your hair will be okay to use on your brushes if you don't have a brush shampoo. Gently swirl your brush in your palm with shampoo and warm water until it’s clean. If it's been awhile since you last washed them, this might take a couple rounds before the water runs clear. Once completely clean and free of product, dry the bristles gently but as much as possible by pressing with a paper towel or swirling on a plain white tee shirt and lay flat to dry completely overnight. While you're at it, don’t forget your Beauty Blenders! Those guys should be washed with soap and water after EVERY. SINGLE. USE. and laid flat to dry!
No excuses now, you've got the tools and the knowledge-
GO CLEAN THOSE BRUSHES!!
(Smells like oranges)
Make Up For Ever Brush Cleanser (My favorite for when I need my brushes cleaned quickly!)
(If you have a lot of brushes and don’t want to swirl in your palm when you’re shampooing your brushes)
#seattlemakeupartist #makeupartist #washingtonstatemakeupartist #pnwmakeupartist #brushcare #cleanbrushes #makeup #beauty #makeupartist #mua #instabeauty #blogger #beautyblogger #mac #sigma #cinemasecrets #clean #makeupbrushes #makeupforever